Saint George Cathedral

The first church of Saint George was built in 1200 A.D. and since then it has been rebuilt three times. The church today, dating since 1834, is a three-aisle basilica and is decorated with great icons. Among them is the icon of "Lady of Hope", which the Catholics of Syros worship. In 1652 it became [...] Read More »

Archaeological Museum of Syros

TheĀ Archaeological Museum of Ermoupolis is one of the oldest museums in our country. It was founded in 1834 and was housed in the Town Hall, an important monument of the city. Originally founded as main Prefectural Museum of Cyclades, as Ermoupoli is the capital of the county and includes exhibits from all the islands of [...] Read More »

Pagos

Pagos is a village of Syros. It is located in the mainland of the island and is 7 km from the capital Ermoupolis. Its name owes it to the word "Baus" which means passage. The history of the village dates back to 2.800 BC while important examples of the Roman period are presented. The Pagos [...] Read More »

Hermoupolis

“The sovereign of Cyclades” Hermoupolis is the city that stamped with the presence her economic history of Greece for one almost century. The city that “from the zero” incarnated a historical marvel! Build at the Greek Revolution from Chiotes, Psarianous and Aivaiotes refugees, afterwards the destruction of Chios. Her settlers gave in the city the […]

Read More »

Short history of Syros

Syros Island is found in the central point of Cyclades and as it is proved by the archaeological researches, first accommodated in the prehistoric season, (4.000 p.H.) and later at the ProtoKikladiki period (3.000 eg) The first historical report becomes from Omiros that he reports the island as "Syrii" and he called it from then [...] Read More »