Saint George Cathedral

The first church of Saint George was built in 1200 A.D. and since then it has been rebuilt three times. The church today, dating since 1834, is a three-aisle basilica and is decorated with great icons. Among them is the icon of "Lady of Hope", which the Catholics of Syros worship. In 1652 it became [...] Read More »

The Temple of Anastasi

Anastasi is built in the top of Dili hill. This orthodox church resembles it compensates the dominating form the catholic Saint George in the hill of Ano Syra. The initial (1858) drawing of Municipality Ermoupolis was to set up in the place, a monument of killed persons at the Revolution, that was placed finally front [...] Read More »

Piskopio

The Bishopric (or Piskopio) is a settlement of Syros that is built on the slopes of a pine-covered hill and is one of the richest sources of green on the island. It is located approximately in the center of Syros and is 4.5 km from Ermoupolis. It is the closest holiday resort in the capital. [...] Read More »

Pagos

Pagos is a village of Syros. It is located in the mainland of the island and is 7 km from the capital Ermoupolis. Its name owes it to the word "Baus" which means passage. The history of the village dates back to 2.800 BC while important examples of the Roman period are presented. The Pagos [...] Read More »

Galissas

Just 7 km from Hermoupolis, to the western part of Syros, is the beautiful village of Galissas. A former agricultural village which has developed rapidly in the recent years to become the best tourist resort of the island. The organised hotels, rooms to let and apartments to let, camping places, taverns and bars promise unforgettable [...] Read More »

Chroussa

Chroussa is a place with thick greenery, well kept newly built houses bearing the traditional style, and old mansions. On the top of a hill is the church of Virgin Mary Faneromeni, which was built in 1890. Next to the church, the old country church dates since 14th century. The church is celebrated on 24th [...] Read More »

Danakos

Danakos is a small village located on the west side of the island of Syros and between the settlements of Galissas and Kini. In the settlement we find two churches: the church of Agia Theresia and Agios Kyrikos, the oldest chapel of the island. In Danako, Markos Vamvakaris, a particularly important rebetiko musician, was born [...] Read More »

Ano Syros

Built from the Venetians in the hill of Saint Georgio, the Ano Syros maintains all medieval enchanting atmospheres. Your innumerable steps lead you in the top, between closely streets with white houses with coloured doors creating another state. In the medievally settlement of Ano Syros, they do not circulate vehicles. The streets have very small [...] Read More »