The first theatrical representations in Hermoupolis are dated, from 1826.
In the first years one wooden haouse served various theatric artists that visited the island. Thus the theatrical movement of Syra will make perceptible the need a permanent and organised theatre. The initiative for his construction him undertook a man from Hermoupolis M.K. Salvagos.
On 30 October 1861 the Municipal Council accepted the proposals of citizens and he decided unanimously they are erected “via cooperative” and with the help of Municipality theatre and club in the central square.Simultaneously they calculated the expenses of manufacture in 60.000 Drs
Existed naturally, a lot of and various reactions in this decision. Certain considered unnecessary luxury the construction of theatre in a state newly established with so much other needs circulated in deed in 1862 and relative booklet titled, The theatre of Hermoupolis to the manufacture of population of Free Greece.
The foundation in the plot of square of theatre (today square of Io. Vardaka) very near in central square Miaouli, became in the dues 1862 beginnings 1863 in drawing of good architect P. Sampo that worked then as municipal architect in Hermoupolis.
In October 1864 they became with big luxoury the openings of theatre “Apollo” for which people in Hermoupolis believed that is first all en East of Theatres and same Athens, Smyrnis, Istamboul and Alexandria. Four melodramas Encouraged, the Traviata, Insisting overcomes also the Kivdilopoioi played from Italian artists was the first work that they presented in the new theatre. Intense however it was the reaction for Italian presentations. In Syros it was built a theatre and the representations are,…….. Italian. We are unworthy descendants of Eyripidis Greek artists will be presented for first time in the theatre of Hermoupolis in March 1866.
Externally the Theatre did not have rich architectural decor internally as it is reported it was micrography of Scale of Milan.
The last representation in the theatre Apollon was given in April 1953 front is abandoned and caused important deterioration in the building. The work of re-establishment was completed in 2000 in drawings of architect Petros Pikionis approved from the Culture department under the supervision and the contribution of Technical Services of Municipality.
The Municipality thanks hotly those who on line of years they worked and fought from any place and if they possessed for the re-establishment of Theatre APOLLO particularly the Culture department and the European Union.